In the year 2018, Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Govt. of India has
established ‘MHRD’s Innovation Cell (MIC)’ in collaboration with AICTE for Higher
Educational Institutions (HEIs) to systematically foster the culture of Innovation and start-up
ecosystem in education institutions. The primary mandate of Innovation Cell is to encourage,
inspire and nurture young students by exposing them to new ideas and processes resulting in
innovative activities in their formative years fostered through network of Innovation clubs in
Higher Educational Institutions.
Institution’s Innovation Council (IIC) was established on 21st November 2018 at JIMS Vasant
Kunj since inception of IICs by the Innovation Cell (MIC) as per the norms and directives of
Ministry of Education (then Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD)). It is
established to engage large number of faculty, students and staff in various innovation and
entrepreneurship related activities such as Hackathons, Leadership talks, Ideation, Workshops,
Seminars in IPR, Entrepreneurship and other competitive events to enhance the innovation and
entrepreneurship ecosystem in the Institute. In, the Innovation Cell of JIMS VK, 11 faculty
members have completed the Ambassador Training Programme conducted by Innovation Cell,
MoE and has received 4/4 stars in the year 2018-, 4.5/5 stars in 2019-20 and 4(max)/5 stars in
Functions of IICs
- Promote innovation in the institution through multitudinous modes leading to an
innovation promotion eco-system in the campus.
- To conduct various innovation and entrepreneurship-related activities prescribed by
Central MIC in time bound fashion.
- Organize workshops/ seminars/ interactions with entrepreneurs, investors, professionals
and create a mentor pool for student innovators.
- Network with peers and national entrepreneurship development organizations.
- Create an Institution’s Innovation portal to highlight innovative projects carried out by
institution’s faculty and students.
- Organize Hackathons, idea competition, Toycathon etc. with the involvement of
IIC will be organising various events in the Institute campus; for example, Leadership talks, Workshops in Intellectual Property Rights and Hackathons for faculty, students and staff, through which not only one can learn about innovation but also create and implement their innovations. Ultimately, the aim would be build an innovation ecosystem in the institute.